Kladdkaka (aka Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake) is one of Sweden’s most beloved (and easy) desserts and every chocolate lover’s dream come true! This version is also a one-bowl, no-mixer recipe that comes together quickly with pantry staples!
I originally posted this Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake back in 2018 but thought it was appropriate to share again as it’s one of the easiest and most delicious cakes you’ll ever have the pleasure of meeting. And I love that its ingredients are all pantry or refrigerator staples so it’s easy to put together without making a trip to the grocery store. In addition to all of that, I received the following comment recently which, to me, gave this Swedish-inspired cake an official stamp of approval!
As a Swede, I was looking for a way to spruce up my normal kladdkaka recipe for my work-colleagues as we had a birthday bash for two of the Swedes here… found your recipe and thought to try it as it looked so yummy!不得不说这是瑞典人和其他国民的打击。绝对惊人，甚至没有发现甚至没有碎片留下的东西！Absolutely fabulous, and will definitely be doing it again! Thank you for sharing, very much appreciated,从a Swede living abroad
The real name for this Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake is Kladdkaka.Kladdkaka is pronounced like thisand it’s one of Sweden’s most popular cakes. I’ve gathered, from doing some research, that there are as many versions of Kladdkaka as there are blondes in this land of the midnight sun! Every Swedish café, small or large has its own version of Kladdkaka, which literally means “sticky cake”.
What is Kladdkaka?
美国布朗Kladdkaka类似于我们心爱的人ies but different at the same time. It’s a dense, rich chocolate dessert with a crisp exterior and a soft and gooey interior. It’s a bit like an underbaked chocolate cake, reminding me of our “molten chocolate cakes” that were popular several years ago. Kladdkaka is often described with words like “sticky”, “gooey” and “fudgy”. I describe it as a “chocolate lover’s dream come”!
Not only is this Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake super delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. If you have an 8-inch cake pan, a mixing bowl and a wooden spoon or whisk, that’s all the equipment you’ll need to put this cake together. And if you keep a stash of cocoa in the pantry, you probably have everything necessary to mix up one of these wonderful chocolate cakes.
I mentioned earlier that every café in Sweden has its own version of Swedish Chocolate Sticky Cake. It only seemed proper that this Café should too! I tried a few different recipes, then came up with my own. The cake is delicious right out of the oven, with just a simple dusting of powdered sugar or cocoa and a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
We loved the simplicity of serving it on its own, but I also wanted to share a simple and decadent way to dress up this cake with an easy (two-ingredient) sea-salted truffle topping. Serve your Kladdkaka on a pool of ourRidiculously Easy Raspberry Coulisfor a fabulous flavor combination and a beautiful presentation. The coulis looks fancy but it truly is ridiculously easy! Check out the video below:
Café Tips for making this Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake
- Be careful to not overbake this cake. You want a somewhat molten, moist interior.
- When this cake comes out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes in the pan. Then run a thin-bladed knife all the way around the edge, even if you plan on adding the truffle topping. This will make it much easier to remove later.
- 你需要一个8英寸圆形or square cake pan for this recipe. You can use a 9-inch pan but the cake will not be as high.
- 为了轻松拆除此蛋糕并确保漂亮的演示，请务必妥善润滑锅。您还希望用一轮羊皮纸排列底部。你可以轻松削减自己，但我喜欢这些pre-cut parchment paper circles. They make it a breeze when you get ready to make a cake.
- 一点诀窍 - 如果你正在削减自己的羊皮纸纸，那么一次羊皮纸层的层并一次切割4。将额外储存在蛋糕锅中。下次你制作瑞典糯巧克力蛋糕，你会全部设定！
- This is a one-bowl cake. I use the microwave to melt the butter, mix up the cake in the same bowl and then wash it while the cake bakes. I then have a clean bowl for making the topping.
- If you don’t have a microwave, melt the butter on the stovetop in a medium-size pot and mix up the rest of the cake right in the pot.
- This cake freezes beautifully. I like to cut the cooled cake into small wedges, then freeze them for one hour, uncovered. Once the wedges are frozen, you can place them in a storage container or ziplock bag. It will be easy to pull out just the amount of servings you need. Allow the cake to thaw completely before serving.
- 我用撒上片状海盐作为装饰和美味的美味触感。我最喜欢的片状海盐是Maldon. It’s more expensive than ordinary salt, but a box will go a long way. Don’t use it as an everyday salt, but rather as a “finishing” salt for both sweet and savory dishes. To use it, take a pinch between your thumb and forefinger and rub them together to slightly break up the large flakes. It’s wonderful! And if you need a little gift for a foodie buddy, a box of Maldon will seal your friendship forever!
- This cake is very rich. Even though it’s made in an 8-inch pan, you can easily get 12-14 servings from 1 cake. For a super elegant dessert, serve small wedges of this Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake on a pool of ourRidiculously Easy Raspberry Coulis. Add a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of mint. Expect lots of oohs and aahs!
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast because they trust in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord Himself is the Rock Eternal! Isaiah 26:3&4
Kladdkaka (aka Swedish Sticky Chocolate Cake) is one of Sweden's most beloved (and easy!) desserts and it's definitely a chocolate lover's dream come true!
- 10tablespoons黄油(I use salted)
- 1 ⅓cups糖
- 5tablespoonsunsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾cupall-purpose flour
- 1茶匙vanilla extract
- ½cupheavy cream
- 8盎司semisweet chocolate chips
- 1茶匙pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream, mint sprigsoptional
- Ridiculously Easy Raspberry Coulisoptional
Preheat oven to 325˚F. Spray an 8-inch round or square cake pan with baking spray or grease the pan with butter and then dust with flour. Line the bottom of the pan with a round (or square) piece of parchment paper. Don't omit this or the cake will be difficult to remove from the pan.
Add sugar to the bowl with melted butter and whisk to combine. Add eggs, one at a time and stir well after each addition. Add the cocoa, flour, vanilla and salt. Stir just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread out to an even layer. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Don’t over bake. The cake should be slightly firm on the outside, but moist and sticky inside.
Cool completely OR let the cake cool for 10 minutes before adding truffle topping.
While the cake is baking, wash out the bowl. After the cake comes out of the oven, heat the heavy cream in the clean bowl for 1 minute on high power. Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir and allow to sit for 1 minute. Then stir until all chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
Pour truffle mixture over the semi-cooled cake and spread to an even layer.
Cool for several hours, then refrigerate for 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
To remove, run a thin-bladed knife around the outer edges of the cake. Invert pan onto a dinner plate and, holding the plate and pan together, give it a good shake downwards. If the cake doesn’t release, go around the edges again with a knife then repeat with inverting cake. Once the cake is released, invert again so that the truffle layer is on the top.
与我们一起服务Ridiculously Easy Raspberry Coulisand a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Recipe adapted fromCarrots and Spice.