This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see our隐私政策。
Let the oven do the magic instead of messing up your stovetop! This delicious Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili (can also be made with chuck roast) is loaded with chunks of super tender beef and lots of healthy beans and veggies!
If you’re looking for a fun and delicious meal you can also stash away in the freezer for quick and easy lunches and dinners, this delicious Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili checks all of the boxes! With lots of us being home-bound right now with restrictions, this is a simple, rewarding recipe that will fill your home with delicious aromas!
I had a nice pack of boneless short ribs in the freezer and decided to use them for making chili. I wanted to come up with a chili recipe that would have bite-size chunks of tender beef, a couple of types of beans and lots of healthy veggies. Six pounds of short ribs later (and a couple of chuck roasts to boot) I (and lots of my favorite taste-testers) think this recipe is ready for your cooking pleasure!
我这慢烤排骨辣椒一个夜ning when our son, Nick, his wife, Lindsay and their two little ones, Emmy and Hayes were visiting. We had barely started eating when I looked over and seven-year-old Emmy had polished her bowl clean and was ready for seconds. We all were amazed at her wonderful appetite, but soon there were six bowls polished clean. Everyone agreed, it was a chili favorite!
What are boneless short ribs?
根据Cook’s Illustrated那“Typically, so-called boneless short ribs are not real ribs at all. They are cut from the meat above the ribs closest to the shoulder (i.e., the chuck). The bones near the shoulder are too narrow for it to make sense to keep them attached to the meat, so butchers simply remove them and cut the meat into short rectangular “ribs.”
Cook’s Illustrated also explains that “Purveyors can get away with this nomenclature (ribs) because a boneless short rib is actually the same muscleas a true (bone-in) short rib.”
No matter what you call it, I’ve found that this cut of meat is convenient as it’s usually nicely trimmed, well-marbled and comes out super tender when slow-cooked. Because boneless short ribs come from the shoulder (or chuck), a lean but well-marbled chuck roast is a good substitute (and works very well in this Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili.
Where can you purchase boneless short ribs?
As I mentioned earlier, not every grocery store carries boneless short ribs. You can almost always find them at Costco and here in North Carolina, Harris Teeter always carries them. I’ve also spotted them at Aldi for a great price. If you can’t locate boneless short ribs, just pick up a chuck roast and cut it up. It’s a little more work, but not a big deal.
No messing up the stovetop!
This Short Rib Chili utilizes lots of pantry items
If you’ve been stocking your pantry, you probably already have most of the ingredients for this Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili. You’ll be opening lots of cans: 4 cans of beans, one can each of fire-roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and part of a can of chipotle peppers. Just pick up a pack of boneless short ribs or a pot roast and a few bell peppers and you should be good to go for lots of healthy and easy meals.
Café Tips for making this Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili
- 辣椒粉的强度变化，所以你添加的金额将取决于你拥有的辣椒粉品牌和您的个人品味。更好地从你走得更少和调整。您可以在任何时候添加更多。就个人而言，我真的很喜欢这个Mexene Chili Powder。它不是顶级辛辣，但有很多味道。
- Chipotle Chippers是这个辣椒的成分之一。这些是什么？Chipotle Peppers的罐头（金枪鱼大小）是一个很棒的调味品。他们是已经吸烟的小墨西哥胡椒辣椒，被挤满了一个叫做Adobo酱的红色酱汁。Adobo酱是由西红柿和香料制成的。烟熏辣椒和茶叶酱都很好，但有点漫长的路。我只是打电话给一个Chipotle胡椒，切碎和一汤匙酱油的辣椒辣椒食谱。辣椒将在冰箱或冰箱中保持非常好，以便将来使用。这是一篇很棒的文章Serious EatsyaboPT电子all the ways you can use a can of chipotle peppers。
- This recipe makes a large batch of chili (16 1-cup bowls). It reheats well (as if you just made it) and it’s a great recipe for stocking the freezer.
- 像很多汤,炖肉,这Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili is even better the next day as all the delicious flavors have a chance to meld and marry.
- This recipe calls for fire-roasted tomatoes. They add a nice depth of flavor to any tomato recipe. You can read about what they are and why I love fire-roasted tomatoes so much inthis Super Easy Pizza Sauce post。所说的一切，如果你没有或找不到火烤的西红柿，经常罐装切割的西红柿会很好。
- This Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili recipe is super flexible.
- If you have green or yellow or orange bell peppers you can use them instead of red.
- If you like a really thick chili add less beef broth in step 8. If you like a looser, soupier chili, add an extra cup of beef broth.
- 该potential garnishes for this Slow Roasted Short Rib Chili are almost limitless. I’ve listed a few possibilities in the recipe but use what you and your family/friends love. M&Ms? Hmmm… maybe not!
- To make the pickled red onions (shown in the pictures above), simply cut half of a red onion into thin slices/wedges. Add the onions to a jar or storage container. Add 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt to the jar. Cover and shake gently. Let the jar sit out at room temperature for 30-60 minutes, shaking (gently) occasionally. That’s it! The longer they sit, the prettier they get (wish that was true for me)!
- Every oven is unique, so the timing on the first roasting may be varied. Check a piece of the beef for tenderness after an hour and 45 minutes. That will give you a good gauge of how much longer you need to leave it in the oven before adding the tomatoes, beans, etc.
Scott said to me this morning “Happy first day of Spring!”. With all the crazy news that’s coming at us (with increasing direness), it would be easy to miss the arrival of Spring altogether. It seems there’s a lot to worry about, be concerned about and get anxious about. I’m wondering if that actually might be the point of all this. The coronavirus is no surprise to our all-knowing God. It may be an event that’s designed to make us refocus and reflect on where our priorities are and who we draw our strength from.
Scott and I are choosing to be smart and do all the practical things we can to ward off this horrible virus and prevent it from spreading. We’re also looking for ways to encourage and support others as we can. But most of all we’re choosing to look up, to pray a lot more, be thankful for all the blessings we have and to meditate on verses from the Bible like this:
a refuge in times of trouble.
Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, OLord那will never abandon those who seek you.诗篇9：9和10
Happy first day of Spring! Praying for our family and community, near and far. Stay safe!
If you love chili, check out some of our other chili recipes:
If you enjoyed these recipes, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It’s so helpful to other readers to hear other’s results and ideas for variations.
- 1tablespoonground cumin
- 2teaspoonsonion powder
- 1-3.teaspoonschili powdermore to taste
- 3.磅boneless beef short ribs or chuck roast cut into 1-inch pieces(or well-marbled chuck roast)
- 2cupsbeef broth(divided)
- 1large yellow onion切成小块
- 2medium red or orange bell peppers切成小块
- 4.medium cloves of garlicfinely minced
- 114.½-ouncecan fire-roasted tomatoes
- 128-ounce-can crushed tomatoes
- 215½-ouncecans dark red kidney beansrinsed and well-drained
- 215½-ouncecans black beansrinsed and well-drained
- 16-ouncecan tomato paste
- 1pepper plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce chipotle in adobo
- 1teaspoonkosher saltmore to taste
- Any or all of the following: pickled red onions (see recipe in the post), or diced white onions, diced, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced jalapeño, cilantro leaves, lime wedges, tortilla chips.
Combine all of the rub ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Cut short ribs (or chuck roast) into 1-inch pieces, discarding any large areas of fat. Place meat in a large bowl.
Add the rub to the bowl and toss to coat. Allow meat to sit for 30 minutes or cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 300˚F.
Towards the end of the beef roasting time, dice the onion and bell pepper nice and small (about ½-inch) and mince the garlic.
When the meat is tender, remove the pot from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 400˚F. Immediately add the diced onion, pepper and the garlic to the pot. Stir well to combine.
Remove from the oven, stir well and cover. Allow chili to sit for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and meld. Taste and season with more salt, if needed. If you like a spicier chili you can add additional chili powder or chipotle at this point. Garnish as desired.
See Café Tips above in post for more detailed instructions and tips.
该Café Sucre Farine is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. The Amazon Affiliate Program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you make a purchase through one of our links, we receive a small commission – and we continue delivering delicious recipes to you